Wednesday 12 March 2014

RIGATONI CHICKEN BAKE

So I've been trying out all my new Epicure spices and seasonings. Tonight, I decided to try the Marinara Sauce Mix and added chicken, instead of ground beef, to my pasta (in this house, there must be meat in order for it to be considered a meal) and thought I would use another seasoning, the Herb & Garlic Dip Mix, to flavour the chicken. It was SO DELICIOUS. I know I've said that about almost every post I've made thus far, but it was seriously so fresh tasting. 

Another great bonus: the entire pasta sauce only contained 3mg of sodium (I used no sodium added can of diced tomatoes so didn't have any additional sodium outside of the seasonings). Healthy and delicious.



(note: photo taken before baked with cheese)

Rigatoni Chicken Bake

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into small cubes                                 (note: could also use 1-2lbs ground beef or ground turkey)
  • Rigatoni or pasta of your choice
  • 2 cups prepared Epicure's Marinara Sauce, or preferred marinara sauce
    • 3 1/2 cups of low-sodium diced or crushed tomatoes
    • Epicure's Marinara sauce mix (note: I used half the recommend sauce mix)
  • 1/2 tbsp Epicure's Herb & Garlic Dip Mix, or preferred seasonings
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Directions:
  • Prepare Epicure's Marinara Sauce and continue to simmer
  • Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions
  • In skillet over medium heat, warm up olive oil and add slices of chicken
  • Top the chicken with Epicure's Herb & Garlic Dip Mix
  • Cook chicken for ~10 minutes, flipping half way through, or until thoroughly cooked. 
  • Once chicken is cooked, add to Marinara Sauce
**NOTE: Could technically stop here. Serve marinara sauce and chicken over pasta and top with parmesan cheese and/or mozzarella cheese, shredded. To be honest, if I were to make again, I would likely stop here. To bake it takes an extra 20+ minutes and I usually don't have the extra time. 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Beat egg in a large mixing bowl and then mix in cheeses
  • Spread 1 1/2 cups of sauce on bottom of baking pan then add ~half of the pasta and then top with half of the ricotta mixture
  • Top with remaining pasta, ricotta mixture and sauce. Can add additional mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese
  • Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until bubbling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment