Friday 28 February 2014

TABBOULEH SALAD

This salad pairs well with Arabic Chicken Shawarma. It is very refreshing and relatively easy to make. Would be great for a hot summer day.




Tabbouleh Salad

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup bulgur wheat
  • 1-2 cups boiling water OR vegetarian or chicken stock (I used water and found that I needed 1.5 cups)
  • 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
  • 2 cups tomatoes (~2-3 roma tomatoes), seeded and chopped 
  • 1 1/2 cups cucumber (~1 large cucumber), chopped
  • 1/3 cup green onions (~3 green onions), thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
note: I personally am not a fan of mint, so I only added ~1/4 cup.  I still found this to be too powerful for me... husband wasn't a huge fan either.  Next time, I think I will skip the mint. 

Directions: 
  • Place bulgur wheat in large bowl. Pour the boiling water (or stock) over the bulgur. Let it sit for 30 to 60 minutes, or until all of the water is absorbed. Wheat should be light and fluffy. I found that I had to add more water (original recipe called for 1 cup and I had to add another half cup). 
  • While bulgur is soaking, to a separate bowl add lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic. Stir together. 
  • Add onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, and dressing to bulgur wheat and still until well combined. I found that it tasted better once the dressing had time to soak into the wheat and vegetables for 10-15 minutes. 
  • Serve at room temperature or can place in fridge for 15-30 minutes to cool off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment